Reserve Special Event Banner Location
Special events must take place within the town or its planning jurisdiction to qualify.
Banner-only permits are $5 and do not require completion of the “additional signs” portion of the form below. See the "banner requirements" section below for additional information.
Permits for a banner plus up to five additional signs around town are $20. Use the "additional signs" portions of the form below to apply. For more information, see the "banner requirements" and "additional sign requirements" sections below.
This form should be submitted at least three business days before the signage is to be placed. Once the form is submitted, Planning Department staff will email with approval status and payment information.
The town will remove any banners or event signs improperly located, exceeding size limits or left beyond the permitted time.
- Banners may be used only to advertise community activities, functions, festivals and similar events. Functions advertised must be open to the public. Functions of a political or for-profit nature are not permitted. The event description should include the time and location of the event, who your intended audience is, and what types of activities will happen during the event.
- Banners may be displayed for two weeks. Permits are issued by the Planning Department on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The only approved location for banners is between the flagpoles that are part of the "Welcome to Hillsborough" sign at the intersection of South Churton and Mayo steets.
- Banners must be tied to the banner supports (not the flag poles) using 1/4-inch nylon rope at each corner.
- Banners must be made of a mesh material or have air vents every 3 feet.
- The banner supports are spaced about 18 feet apart. The maximum banner length is 15 feet. Banners should be about 30 inches tall, with a maximum height of 36 inches.
Additional sign requirements
No event may display more than five additonal signs, as detailed below:
- One sign may be located on the lot hosting the event for the same display period. This sign may be a banner if it is securely fastened and adequately vented so as not to pose a threat to traffic. This sign shall be no larger than 32 square feet.
- Four off-site signs, displayed in different locations, may be located in the public right of way, but not in a driveway or intersection sight triangle. These signs must be rigid (not banners) and a single side may not exceed 8 square feet. The sign locations must be included in the banner permit application.
- Signs may be erected no more than 14 days prior to the event and shall be removed no later than 48 hours after the event has concluded. Signs may not be displayed for more than 17 days.
- No event may display more than 100 square feet of additional signage, including all off‐site and on-site signage.
- The Planning Department will issue a Zoning Compliance Permit detailing the approved sign number, sizes and locations.
- No event may display more than five additonal signs, as detailed below: