Hillsborough is served by three bus routes, with access to other modes of transportation.
The Hillsborough Circulator provides bus service to sites in Hillsborough and a connection to GoTriangle's Route 420 (additional information below). The circulator is partially funded by a three-year grant from the N.C. Department of Transportation. The town has committed to funding the local match requirement, which allows the bus to operate without a fare.
Route 420 serves downtown Hillsborough, the Durham Tech Orange County Campus, Orange County Sportsplex (midday only), Hampton Pointe shopping center, A.L. Stanback Middle School, Robert & Pearl Seymour Center (midday only), downtown Chapel Hill and UNC Hospitals. Two park-and-ride areas are provided:
- Durham Technical Community College Orange County Campus, 525 College Park Road
- Orange County Sportsplex, 101 Meadowlands Drive (midday only)
The fare is $2.25, or $1 for disabled riders. The bus is free for those ages 12 and younger or 65 and older. Fares can be paid with cash or a Triangle Transit pass. This route is operated by Chapel Hill Transit during peak hours and Orange County Public Transportation during midday hours.
GoTriangle provides express service between Hillsborough and Durham. Stops in Hillsborough are as follows:
- Morning trips to Durham and afternoon trips from Durham will use the park-and-ride lot at Durham Tech’s Orange County campus, located at 525 College Park Road in southern Hillsborough between N.C. 86 and Old N.C. 86.
- Morning trips from Durham to Efland/Mebane will stop on Churton Street in downtown Hillsborough at the Historic Orange County Courthouse, 100 E. King St.
- Afternoon trips from Mebane/Efland to Durham will stop on Churton Street in downtown Hillsborough at the main police station, 127 N. Churton St.
The bus has two stops in Durham:
- Duke University Hospital and Durham VA Medical Center
- Durham Station (downtown)
The fare is $3, or $1.25 for disabled riders. The bus is free for those ages 12 and younger or 65 and older. Fares can be paid with cash or a GoTriangle pass.
Orange County Public Transportation provides bus transportation for the disabled and elderly. For more information, visit the Orange County Public Transportation website.
Passes are available for day trips or multiple rides at discounted rates. They may be purchased from the GoTriangle website or from the town Financial Services Department, located in the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St.
Emergency Ride Home provides free rental car or taxi rides home under certain circumstances. For more information, see the Emergency Ride Home page on the GoTriangle website.