Use type:Mixed useReview status:ApprovedCurrent status:The master plan remains.Next step:Permitting or new submissions
This mixed-use development has an approved master plan covering 330 acres of potential development. The acreage was divided into 22 pods, each of which will need special use permits in order to be developed. So far, special use permits have been approved for pods 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 16, 17 and 22.
- Parcels 1 and 2 are complete as Waterstone Estates, a single-family neighborhood with 139 houses.
- Parcel 3 is complete as Waterstone Terraces, a townhouse neighborhood with 114 units.
- Parcel 5 is the community park, named Cates Creek Park for the creek that runs along the northern boundary.
- Parcel 7 is the Little School, a daycare and preschool.
- Parcel 11 will be a medical office building with driveway access to Old NC 86.
- Parcel 16 is the Durham Technical Community College Orange County Campus.
- Parcel 17 is Harmony at Waterstone, a townhouse neighborhood built by Lennar Carolinas, LLC.
- Parcel 22 is the UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus.
- 337.5 acres
- 134 single-family detached units (approved)
- 599 attached housing units (328 townhouses and 271 apartments), with additional dwellings possible as part of parcel 8
- 1.08 million nonresidential square feet (390,000 square feet approved)
Approvals granted in December 2019
- Special use permit modification information for Bed Wing 2 at UNC Health Care
- Special use permit request for office building on Old N.C. 86 frontage
Special Assessment Improvement District
The developers of the Waterstone project approached the town about using a new financing tool known as a Special Assessment Improvement District to fund the infrastructure and planned community park. For more information, see the Waterstone Special Assessment Improvement District page on this website.
Karl Hudson IV
Conditions of Development by Parcel (revised)
Plans Under Review - Office Building for October 2019 public hearing
Plans Under Review - UNC Health Care for October 2019 public hearing
Master Plan Map (revised)