Water and Sewer Billing and Collections
The Financial Services Department arranges connections and disconnections of service, schedules meter readings and collects monthly payments. The Utilities Department provides water and sewer service to Hillsborough customers.
Please note: Bills can be paid by credit or debit card by calling 833-262-5902 toll-free 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Report water line breaks, frozen meters and other water-related emergencies immediately by calling 919-732-3621.
Billing and payments
The town has resumed in-house billing and collections. For updated information on the billing transition, see the FAQ: Utility Billing and Payments Platform page on this website. Water and sewer usage are billed monthly. Balances can be paid several ways:
- Bank draft — Sign up to have the town automatically draft payment from your bank account on the 10th or 25th day of each month by completing the automated debit service form on the back of your bill or at the bottom of this webpage section. Submit the completed form with a voided check by mail, in person or by deposit box. Processing enrollment takes at least one billing cycle. Pay by other methods until your bill states, “Do not pay. Paid by draft.”
- Bank originated bill pay — Set up recurring payments through your bank account by logging on to your bank's online bill pay service and entering Town of Hillsborough as a payee with the following “remit to” address: Town of Hillsborough, PO Box 429, Hillsborough, NC 27278. Enter your account or customer number in the format shown on your bill. Implementing electronic payments from your bank can take up to 90 days, but your bank will issue a paper check for payment during this time.
- Deposit box — Visit the deposit box at the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St., to leave a payment. Do not place cash in the drop box.
- In person — Visit the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St., between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday to make cash or check payments. Staff also can help with credit or debit card payments.
- Mail — Send payments to Town of Hillsborough, PO Box 429, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
- Online — Visit the customer portal to pay by credit or debit card.
- Telephone — Call 833-262-5902 toll-free 24 hours a day to pay by credit or debit card.
Current charges are due by the 25th day of the month. If the 25th day falls on a weekend or holiday, the bill is due on the next business day. Payments received after 5 p.m. on the due date are considered late. An additional $40 delinquency fee will be assessed and service will be disconnected if the previous month’s bill is not paid by the current month’s due date. To be reconnected, the past due bill, all penalties, fees and the current bill must be paid in full.
The Town of Hillsborough participates in the North Carolina Local Government Debt Setoff Clearinghouse. This program secures payment of delinquent water and sewer bills by filing a claim with the state to intercept income tax refunds or North Carolina education lottery winnings of those who owe payment to the town of $50 or greater, according to North Carolina General Statute 105A: Setoff Debt Collection Act.
Hillsborough charges for a minimum usage of 2,500 gallons each billing cycle. Additional use is billed per 1,000 gallons. For in-town and out-of-town rates, see the Utility Fee Calculations document below. For more information, see the water and sewer rates FAQ.
For information on 2018 rate increases, see the FAQ and the Fact Sheet: Water and Sewer Rate Increases document below.
New service accounts
To establish new service, please visit the Billing and Collections Division in the Town Hall Annex at 105 E. Corbin St.
The town requires all of the following to start a new service account:
- Valid driver's license, government ID or passport
- Copy of a lease agreement if renting
- $20 nonrefundable connection fee
- $75 in town
- $150 out of town
New customers are also asked to provide a Social Security number. A higher deposit can be paid in lieu of providing the number.
Service is generally available within 24 business hours of the deposit being paid.
Accounts can be transferred between addresses for a $20 fee.
Disconnection and reconnection
Water service is subject to disconnection for nonpayment. Reconnection is made only upon payment of the full amount due, including late penalties.
Other disconnections and reconnections can be arranged by calling 919-296-9450.
Customers may request adjustments to bills if they show that a break in a water line has resulted in extraordinary charges for a given billing period. In such cases, the customer will be charged an amount based on an average of the previous six months.
Customers are allowed one leak adjustment per 12-month period. Sufficient documentation of a leak must be provided by a plumber or maintenance person, or customers must provide receipts for items purchased for repairs.
Leak adjustments must be requested no later than three months after the billing date.
Call 919-296-9450 for assistance.
Malfunctioning water meters
The standard for meter accuracy is plus or minus 10 percent. A meter flow test can be requested, with a fee being charged if the meter passes.
If a meter fails to register water use, the customer will be charged an amount based on an average of the previous six months.
Call 919-296-9450 for assistance.
Water Assistance Program
Certain customers may be eligible for help paying bills through the Water Assistance Program, a program funded through donations from other utility customers.
Utilidades facturación transición
Utilities Billing Transition
Water and Sewer Rates for Fiscal Year 2018-19
Billing transition documents
For additional information, see news releases and documents related to the billing transition: