Water and Sewer Billing and Collections
During the COVID-19 outbreak, the town asks that customers pay water and sewer bills using a credit or debit card online or by calling 833-262-5902 toll-free 24 hours a day. To set up a new account, follow the instructions in the "new service accounts" section below. For additional information on COVID-19-related temporary policy changes, see the water and sewer billing section of the Town Services Affected by COVID-19 page.
The Financial Services Department arranges connections and disconnections of service, schedules meter readings and collects monthly payments. The Utilities Department provides water and sewer service to Hillsborough customers.
Report water line breaks, frozen meters and other water-related emergencies immediately by calling 919-732-3621.
Billing and payments
For information on the town's in-house billing and payments platform, see the FAQ: Utility Billing and Payments Platform page on this website. Water and sewer usage are billed monthly. Balances can be paid several ways:
- Bank draft — Sign up to have the town automatically draft payment from your bank account on the 10th or 25th day of each month by completing the automated debit service form on the back of your bill or at the bottom of this webpage section. Submit the completed form with a voided check by mail, in person or by deposit box. Processing enrollment takes at least one billing cycle. Pay by other methods until your bill states, “Do not pay. Paid by draft.”
- Bank originated bill pay — Set up recurring payments through your bank account by logging on to your bank's online bill pay service and entering Town of Hillsborough as a payee with the following “remit to” address: Town of Hillsborough, PO Box 429, Hillsborough, NC 27278. Enter your account or customer number in the format shown on your bill. Implementing electronic payments from your bank can take up to 90 days, but your bank will issue a paper check for payment during this time.
- Deposit box — Visit the deposit box at the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St., to leave a payment. Do not place cash in the drop box.
- In person — Visit the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St., between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday to make cash or check payments. Staff also can help with credit or debit card payments.
- Mail — Send payments to Town of Hillsborough, PO Box 429, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
- Online — Visit the town payments and donations website to pay by credit or debit card.
- Telephone — Call 833-262-5902 toll-free 24 hours a day to pay by credit or debit card.
Current charges are due by the 25th day of the month. If the 25th day falls on a weekend or holiday, the bill is due on the next business day. Payments received after 5 p.m. on the due date are considered late. An additional $40 delinquency fee will be assessed and service will be disconnected if the previous month’s bill is not paid by the current month’s due date. To be reconnected, the past due bill, all penalties, fees and the current bill must be paid in full.
The Town of Hillsborough participates in the North Carolina Local Government Debt Setoff Clearinghouse. This program secures payment of delinquent water and sewer bills by filing a claim with the state to intercept income tax refunds or North Carolina education lottery winnings of those who owe payment to the town of $50 or greater, according to North Carolina General Statute 105A: Setoff Debt Collection Act.
Hillsborough charges for a minimum usage of 2,500 gallons each billing cycle. Additional use is billed per 1,000 gallons. For in-town and out-of-town rates, see the Utility Fee Calculations document below. For more information, see the water and sewer rates FAQ.
Start or stop service / comenzar o descontinuar los servicios
To establish new service, please complete the Start Service Form linked below and email it to email@example.com.
The town requires all of the following to start a new service account:
- Valid driver's license, government ID, or passport
- Copy of a lease agreement if renting
- Copy of a deed if the property is owned
- $20 non-refundable connection fee
- $75 in town
- $150 out of town
Customers are also asked to provide a Social Security number. A higher deposit can be paid instead of providing the number.
Service should be requested at least three business days in advance.
Accounts can be transferred between addresses for a $20 fee.
Establecimiento de servicio
Para establecer el servicio, por favor complete la aplicación de utilidad enlazados y envíelo por correo electrónico a firstname.lastname@example.org.
La ciudad requiere todo lo siguiente para iniciar una nueva cuenta de servicio:
- Licencia de conducir válida, identificación del gobierno o pasaporte
- Copia de un contrato de arrendamiento si se alquila
- Copia de una escritura si el dueño
- Tarifa de conexión no reembolsable de $20
- $75 en la ciudad
- $150 fuera de la ciudad
También se pide a los clientes que el número de Seguro Social. Se puede pagar un depósito más alto en lugar del el número.
Servicio debe solicitarse con al menos tres días hábiles de antelación.
Cuentas se pueden transferir entre direcciones por una tarifa de $20.
Customers may request adjustments to bills if they show that a break in a water line has resulted in extraordinary charges for a given billing period. In such cases, the customer will be charged an amount based on an average of the previous six months.
Customers are allowed one leak adjustment per calendar year. Sufficient documentation of a leak must be provided by a plumber or maintenance person, or customers must provide receipts for items purchased for repairs.
Leak adjustments must be requested no later than three months after the billing date.
Call 919-296-9450 for assistance.
Malfunctioning water meters
The standard for meter accuracy is plus or minus 10%. A meter flow test can be requested, with a fee charged if the meter passes the flow test.
If a meter fails to register water use, the customer will be charged for the time period in question an amount based on an average of the previous six months.
Call 919-296-9450 for assistance.
Water Assistance Program
Some customers may be eligible for help paying bills through the Water Assistance Program, a program funded through donations from other utility customers.