Unified Development Ordinance
The Unified Development Ordinance applies to all properties within Hillsborough's planning jurisdiction, which includes properties in the town limits and in the extraterritorial jurisdiction. See the zoning information page to view the zoning map and tables.
Download the complete ordinance or any of its sections:
- Section 1 — legal framework for the ordinance.
- Section 2 — boards and their authority.
- Section 3 — review processes and steps.
- Section 4 — descriptions of each zoning district.
- Section 5 — specific standards for all uses requiring permits, from fences and home occupations to telecommunication towers and schools. The Permitted Use Table, which lists all the uses and which districts they are allowed in, is in this section.
- Section 6 — development requirements that apply to all uses, including parking, lighting, signage, landscaping, design standards, tree preservation, steep slope provisions and stormwater provisions. The dimensional requirements (setbacks and lot sizes) are in this section. Signs also are covered in this section.
- Section 7 — nonconformities. This is also referred to as "grandfathering." This section details how the town will treat situations that do not conform to the standards of this ordinance.
- Section 8 — enforcement procedures and steps, including prevention of demolition by neglect.
- Section 9 — general guidance on using the document, including rules of measurement. Specific definitions are provided in this section.
The Unified Development Ordinance refers to the Administrative Manual for many routine requirements, application deadlines, fees and related information. The manual also includes some additional references and technical standards required by the ordinance. The review process is described and the appendix sections are broken into application packets for each process. The manual is not an ordinance and can be updated by staff as needed.
Download the complete manual or any of the appendices:
- Appendix A — contacts.
- Appendix B — deadlines.
- Appendix C — planning fee schedule for fiscal year 2015.
- Appendix D — sketch plan requirements.
- Appendix E — site plan requirements.
- Appendix F — final plat requirements.
- Appendix G — plot plan requirements.
- Appendix H — subdivision application packet.
- Appendix I — rezoning and amendments application packet.
- Appendix J — annexation application packet.
- Appendix K — master plan application packet.
- Appendix L — special use permit application packet.
- Appendix M — conditional use permit application packet.
- Appendix N — variance application packet.
- Appendix O — appeal application packet.
- Appendix P — certificate of Appropriateness application packet.
- Appendix Q — site plan review application packet.
- Appendix R — zoning compliance permit application packet.
- Recommended Plantings List
101 E. Orange St., Hillsborough, NC 27278
Economic Development Planner
Assistant Town Manager/Planning Director
Senior Administrative Support Specialist