Zoning Compliance Permit
The Hillsborough Planning Department issues zoning compliance permits for activities that are regulated under the Unified Development Ordinance on property in the town limits and in the extraterritorial jurisdiction. In some cases, a building permit may also be required. Building permits and inspections are handled by the Orange County Planning and Inspections Department.
About the permit
A zoning compliance permit is issued for:
- Site changes, such as relocating or expanding an existing structure or such as constructing a new building, accessory building, deck or fence.
- Installing new signs or changing the location, sign face, or message of an existing sign.
- Changes of use, such as moving a business into an existing non-residential retail or office space.
- Operating a business out of your personal residence.
- Temporary and event signs, including sandwich boards and banners.
To apply for a zoning compliance permit, complete the form in the application materials section below and return it to:
P.O. Box 429
101 E. Orange St.
Once submitted, the processing time for a permit application is typically 1-2 business days.