Social Media Policies and Disclaimers
Our social media sites are intended to provide residents and visitors with timely information about our services, programs and emergency communications.
We welcome your comments, but please note that our social media sites that offer the option for comment are moderated online sites and not public forums. All content posted to Town of Hillsborough social media sites by the public should be related to discussion of town-sponsored programs, services, projects, issues, events and activities.
The town reserves the right to remove submissions that:
- Are spam or not topically related to town-sponsored programs, services, projects, issues, events and activities or the particular post being commented on.
- Contain vulgar language or content.
- Contain personal attacks of any kind.
- Promote, foster or perpetuate discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation.
- Contain sexual content or links to sexual content.
- Advocate violence or illegal activity.
- Contain information that may tend to compromise the safety and security of the public or public system.
- Contain solicitations of commerce.
- Infringe on copyrights or trademarks.
- Support or oppose political campaigns or ballot measures.
This policy is subject to amendment or modification at any time. Multiple violations may result in being banned from the use of Town of Hillsborough social media sites at any time and without prior notice.
While the Town of Hillsborough recognizes that social media is a round-the-clock medium, the monitoring capability of the town’s staff is limited to certain times and days. We are unable to immediately answer questions and concerns from social media forums. Any requests for emergency service or immediate response should not be made through social media. Instead, visit the Contact Us page for direct contact with town staff. The directory includes phone numbers for emergency water/sewer service. Call 911 to file a police report or to report an emergency.
Representatives of the Town of Hillsborough government communicate via Hillsborough social media sites. Consequently, any communication on our social media sites is subject to N.C. public records law.
Any comment, feedback or other method of communication made by someone other than an official representative of the Town of Hillsborough is solely the view and opinion of the author. It does not represent an official communication from the Town of Hillsborough or any member of its staff, nor does it reflect the opinions and position of the town and its staff.
The Town of Hillsborough does not endorse any advertisement or marketing effort that may be seen on these sites.