Churton Street Access Improvements Project
The Churton Street Access Improvements Project provides accessible curb ramps and crosswalks at all downtown intersections. It also provides additional sidewalk connections to key destinations in the downtown area and widened sidewalks in congested areas. The town, in coordination with the N.C. Department of Transportation, developed the project to improve safety for motorists and pedestrians as well as the aesthetics of the downtown area.
In the first phase of the project, the town accomplished the following:
- Improvements to traffic circulation and landscaping at the West King Street Parking Lot.
- Installation of brick pavers on West King Street.
- Creation of two loading zones on West King Street.
- Construction of a loading zone on West Margaret Lane.
- Installation of stamped brick-pattern crosswalks on Margaret Lane.
- Creation of a continuous, center through lane on Churton Street between Tryon Street and Exchange Park Lane.
The 2017 phase of the project includes:
- Building a bus stop and extending the sidewalk near the Orange County Courthouse.
- Installing handicapped-accessible curb ramps at the intersection of Churton Street with Margaret Lane and King and Tryon streets.
- Building a bus stop near the police station.
- Removing on-street parking and widening sidewalks on portions of the west side of Churton Street north and south of West King Street.
- Narrowing the travel lane and extending the curb line on portions of the west side of South Churton Street north and south of West Margaret Lane.
- Building a two-tier sidewalk with handrail and ramp, compliant with the federal Americans with Disabilities Act, on the southwest corner of South Churton and West King streets.
- Adding audible crossing signals at the intersection of Churton and King streets.
- Planting street trees along East Tryon Street.
- Adding street trees to new sidewalk areas.
Future phases will include:
- Resurfacing all of Churton Street.
- Installing stamped, brick-pattern crosswalks at the intersections of Churton Street with Nash and Kollock Street; Margaret Lane; and King and Tryon streets.
- Creating high-visibility crosswalks at the intersection of Churton Street with Queen, Union, Orange and Corbin streets.
- Installing 10 additional benches, three bicycle racks and 10 trash and recycling receptacles.
101 E. Orange St., Hillsborough, NC 27278
Public Space Manager
919-732-1270, ext. 74