Churton Street Access Improvements Project
The Churton Street Access Improvements Project provides accessible curb ramps and crosswalks at all downtown intersections. It also provides additional sidewalk connections to key destinations in the downtown area and widened sidewalks in congested areas. The town, in coordination with the N.C. Department of Transportation, developed the project to improve safety for motorists and pedestrians as well as the aesthetics of the downtown area.
To date, the town has completed the following:
- Building a bus stop and extending the sidewalk near the Orange County Courthouse.
- Installing Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant curb ramps at the intersection of Churton Street with Margaret Lane and King and Tryon streets.
- Building a bus stop near the police station.
- Removing on-street parking and widening sidewalks on portions of the west side of Churton Street north and south of West King Street.
- Narrowing the travel lane and extending the curb line on portions of the west side of South Churton Street north and south of West Margaret Lane.
- Building an ADA-compliant, two-tier sidewalk with handrail and ramp on the southwest corner of South Churton and West King streets.
- Adding audible crossing signals at the intersection of Churton and King streets.
- Creating a landscaped area along East Tryon Street.
- Adding street trees to new sidewalk areas.
- Installing 10 additional benches, three bicycle racks and 10 trash and recycling receptacles.
- Improving traffic circulation and landscaping at the West King Street Parking Lot.
- Installing brick pavers on West King Street.
- Creating two loading zones on West King Street.
- Building a loading zone on West Margaret Lane.
- Installating stamped brick-pattern crosswalks on Margaret Lane.
- Creating a continuous, center through lane on Churton Street between Tryon Street and Exchange Park Lane.
Remaining work will include:
- Resurfacing all of Churton Street.
- Installing stamped, brick-pattern crosswalks at the intersections of Churton Street with Margaret Lane and Nash and Kollock, King and Tryon streets.
- Creating high-visibility crosswalks at the intersection of Churton Street with Queen, Union, Orange and Corbin streets.
CSAIP 1: Pardon Our Dust
CSAIP 2: Update for June 28
CSAIP 3: Update for July 28
CSAIP 4: Update for Sept. 27
101 E. Orange St., Hillsborough, NC 27278
Public Space Manager