Sidewalk Connections Project
The Sidewalk Connections Project creates and improves vital connections to the Riverwalk greenway in West Hillsborough. It also improves pedestrian safety in the commercial area of South Nash Street. The project includes several sidewalk segments along Calvin, South Nash and Allison streets and one segment of paved greenway connecting Allison Street to Gold Park.
The project includes the following components:
- Creating a three-way stop at the intersection of South Nash and Eno streets.
- Installing a high-visibility crosswalk at the intersection of South Nash and Eno streets.
- Removing on-street parking and widening sidewalks along the west side of South Nash Street adjacent to the commercial area.
- Building a sidewalk along the east side of South Nash Street, adjacent to the parking lot across from the commercial area.
- Completing a sidewalk along the south side of Calvin Street from Hillsborough Avenue to the Riverwalk greenway and around the sharp curve at South Occoneechee Street.
- Extending the Riverwalk greenway from Gold Park to connect with Allison Street.
- Building a sidewalk segment south of the Allison Street bridge to connect with the Occoneechee Mountain State Natural Area trail.
Funding for this project is through the federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality program. CMAQ funds are managed by the N.C. Department of Transportation.