Water and Sewer Billing and Collections
The Water and Sewer Billing and Collections Office arranges connections for new customers, disconnections of service, schedules meter readings, and collects monthly payments. The Engineering and Utilities Department provides water and sewer service to Hillsborough customers.
Report water line breaks, frozen meters and other water-related emergencies immediately by calling 919-732-3621.
Billing and payments
Water and sewer usage are billed monthly. Balances can be paid several ways:
- Online — bills can be paid by credit card, debit card or electronic check through the FATHOM U2You customer portal. Customers also can reprint bills; set up automatic payments and electronic billing; or contact customer service representatives through the portal.
- Bank draft — customers can sign up for drafts online or by filling out a form and submitting it by mail, fax or email. Instructions can be found on the FATHOM U2You customer portal.
- Mail — payments can be sent to Town of Hillsborough, PO Box 205232, Dallas, TX 75320-5232.
- Telephone — bills can be paid by credit card, debit card or electronic check by calling 844-691-9177 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- In person — cash payments can be made at the Town Hall Annex, 137 N. Churton St. between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Staff are available to assist with credit card, debit card or electronic check payments.
Current charges are due by the 25th day of the month. If the 25th day falls on a weekend or holiday, the bill is due on the next business day. Payments received after 5 p.m. on the due date are considered late.
For additional information, see the FAQ: Utility Billing and Payments Platform page on this website.
Hillsborough charges for a minimum usage of 2,500 gallons each billing cycle. Additional use is billed per 1,000 gallons. For in-town and out-of-town rates, see the Utility Fee Calculations. For more information, see the water and sewer rates FAQ.
New service accounts
Call Fathom at 844-691-9177 to establish new service.
The town requires all of the following to start a new service account:
- Valid driver's license, government ID or passport
- Copy of a lease agreement if renting
- $20 nonrefundable connection fee
- $75 in town
- $150 out of town
New customers are also asked to provide a Social Security number. A higher deposit can be paid in lieu of providing the number.
Service is generally available within 24 business hours of the deposit being paid.
Accounts can be transferred between addresses for a $20 fee.
Disconnection and reconnection
Utility services are subject to disconnection for nonpayment. Reconnection is made only upon payment of the full amount due, including late penalties. Customers who have water service disconnected due to nonpayment must call the office to have service restored.
Other disconnections can be arranged by contacting the office.
Malfunctioning water meters
The standard for meter accuracy is plus or minus 10 percent. A meter flow test can be requested, with a fee being charged if the meter passes.
If a meter fails to register water use, the customer will be charged an amount based on an average of the previous six months.
Customers may request adjustments to bills if they show that a break in a water line has resulted in extraordinary charges for a given billing period. In such cases, the customer will be charged an amount based on an average of the previous six months.
Customers are allowed one leak adjustment per 12-month period. Sufficient documentation of a leak must be provided by a plumber or maintenance person, or customers must provide receipts for items purchased for repairs.
Leak adjustments must be requested no later than three months after the billing date.
Water Assistance Program
Certain customers may be eligible for help paying bills through the Water Assistance Program, a program funded through donations from other utility customers.
137 N. Churton St., Hillsborough, NC 27278
Senior Customer Service Representative
919-732-2104, ext. 1004
Billing and Collections Supervisor
919-732-2104, ext. 1002