Water and Sewer Billing and Collections
The Water and Sewer Billing and Collections Office arranges connections for new customers, disconnections of service, schedules meter readings, and collects monthly payments. The Utilities Department provides water and sewer service to Hillsborough customers.
Utility billing joint statement
The Town of Hillsborough has been contracting with utility software and customer service provider FATHOM for utility billing and collections services since Nov. 2, 2016.
Report water line breaks, frozen meters and other water-related emergencies immediately by calling 919-732-3621.
Billing and payments
Water and sewer usage are billed monthly. Balances can be paid several ways:
- Online — bills can be paid by credit card, debit card or electronic check through the FATHOM U2You customer portal. Customers also can reprint bills; set up automatic payments and electronic billing; or contact customer service representatives through the portal.
- Bank draft — customers can sign up for drafts online or by filling out a form and submitting it by mail, fax or email. Instructions can be found on the FATHOM U2You customer portal.
- Mail — payments can be sent to Town of Hillsborough, PO Box 205232, Dallas, TX 75320-5232.
- Telephone — bills can be paid by credit card, debit card or electronic check by calling 844-691-9177 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- In person — cash payments can be made at the Town Hall Annex, 137 N. Churton St. between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Staff are available to assist with credit card, debit card or electronic check payments.
Current charges are due by the 25th day of the month. If the 25th day falls on a weekend or holiday, the bill is due on the next business day. Payments received after 5 p.m. on the due date are considered late.
For additional information, see the FAQ: Utility Billing and Payments Platform page on this website.
Hillsborough charges for a minimum usage of 2,500 gallons each billing cycle. Additional use is billed per 1,000 gallons. For in-town and out-of-town rates, see the Utility Fee Calculations document below. For more information, see the water and sewer rates FAQ.
For information on 2018 rate increases, see the FAQ and the Fact Sheet: Water and Sewer Rate Increases document below.
New service accounts
Call Fathom at 844-691-9177 to establish new service.
The town requires all of the following to start a new service account:
- Valid driver's license, government ID or passport
- Copy of a lease agreement if renting
- $20 nonrefundable connection fee
- $75 in town
- $150 out of town
New customers are also asked to provide a Social Security number. A higher deposit can be paid in lieu of providing the number.
Service is generally available within 24 business hours of the deposit being paid.
Accounts can be transferred between addresses for a $20 fee.
Disconnection and reconnection
Water service is subject to disconnection for nonpayment. Reconnection is made only upon payment of the full amount due, including late penalties.
If service has been disconnected due to nonpayment, a reconnection can be made 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. After-hours reconnections can be made 5 p.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday for a $50 fee. Call the office at 919-732-2104 for assistance.
Other disconnections and reconnections can be arranged by contacting the office.
Customers may request adjustments to bills if they show that a break in a water line has resulted in extraordinary charges for a given billing period. In such cases, the customer will be charged an amount based on an average of the previous six months.
Customers are allowed one leak adjustment per 12-month period. Sufficient documentation of a leak must be provided by a plumber or maintenance person, or customers must provide receipts for items purchased for repairs.
Leak adjustments must be requested no later than three months after the billing date.
Malfunctioning water meters
The standard for meter accuracy is plus or minus 10 percent. A meter flow test can be requested, with a fee being charged if the meter passes.
If a meter fails to register water use, the customer will be charged an amount based on an average of the previous six months.
Water Assistance Program
Certain customers may be eligible for help paying bills through the Water Assistance Program, a program funded through donations from other utility customers.
137 N. Churton St., Hillsborough, NC 27278
Senior Customer Service Representative
919-732-2104, ext. 1004