Special Event Permits
Most events that are open to the general public or that require street closings require a Special Event Permit. Please review the event policies in Chapter 7 of the Hillsborough Code of Ordinances to determine if your event requires a Special Event Permit.
To reserve a park facility or the special event banner location on Churton Street, see the reservations section of this site.
Mobile food vendors operating as part of a special event should see the Financial Services Department page for additional regulations and permit requirements.
Permit fees are as follows:
- Public and private events on private property: $20
- Public and private events on public property: $35
- Street or greenway events: $55
To apply, complete the application in the "application materials" section below. The application must be accompanied by one of the maps in the "application materials" section, marked with the location of the event. Applications for events at Riverwalk should indicate whether the greenway will remain open to the public during the event.
Permit applications must be received at least 60 days in advance of the event.
Applications can be submitted:
- In person at Town Hall, 101 E. Orange St., Hillsborough, NC 27278.
- By mail to Planning and Economic Development Division, Attn: Shannan Campbell, 101 E. Orange St., Hillsborough, NC 27278.
- By fax to 919-644-2390.
For questions, contact the Planning and Economic Development Division by email or at 919-296-9477.