Yard Waste Collection
The Public Works Division provides curbside yard waste collection services for residences. Additional curbside collection information is available on the Garbage Collection page and in the curbside collections calendar.
Brush is collected on regular garbage collection days for the majority of Hillsborough streets. Requirements are:
- Brush must be free of trash and separated from leaves.
- Brush must not exceed 6 feet in length and must be no larger than 6 inches in diameter.
- Brush must be placed within 4 feet of the curb, 3 feet away from obstructions and not below trees or power lines.
- Limbs must be stacked in one pile, with all limbs lying in the same direction.
- Small amounts of brush must be placed in biodegradable paper bags or tied into bundles weighing less than 30 pounds, using jute or sisal twine (no plastic or cotton). Residents with a few sticks should allow a bagful or several armfuls to accumulate before placing at the curb.
- Christmas trees must be removed from the stand and free of tinsel, ornaments, lights and other decorations. Trees also may be brought to any of Orange County’s waste and recycling centers except the one on Bradshaw Quarry Road.
The following streets receive brush collection on Wednesday instead of the same day as their garbage collection day: Lydia and East Margaret lanes and Caine, North and South Cameron, East Corbin, Huddle, East King, Mitchell, East Orange, East Queen, East Tryon, and East Union streets.
Items for collection must be placed:
- Within 4 feet of the curb but not on the curb.
- Where they do not interfere with traffic or water drainage and do not block sidewalks, fire hydrants or water meters.
Loose leaf collection
From November through January, the town’s leaf vacuum truck operates weekdays, except on town-observed holidays. The truck picks up leaves approximately once per week, depending on the amount of leaves and weather.
Leaves must be free of trash, twigs and other debris. The collected leaves are used for composting or mulching; and sticks and other debris can clog and disable the vacuum hose on the collection truck.
Bagged leaf and grass clipping collection
Leaves may be bagged in paper or biodegradable bags for collection on brush collection days year-round. Households are limited to 10 bags per collection week.
Leaves and grass clippings must be free of trash and debris. The collected leaves and grass are used for composting and mulching.
Bulk leaves delivery
Delivery of bulk leaves for composting or mulching is available November through January by contacting the Public Works Division at 919-296-9600.
Special collections of brush, leaves or grass clippings outside of normal collection days require a work order and payment of a fee. Fees must be paid before collection is scheduled. Work orders can be placed by email or by calling 919-296-9600.
If brush, leaves or grass clippings do not comply with requirements, they will not be collected and a sanitation policy door tag will be left.
Fees can be paid with cash or check at the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St., or with a credit or debit card through the town's payments and donations website. Contact the Public Works Division by email or at 919-296-9600 for more information about fees.