Wastewater Treatment Plant
The Wastewater Treatment Plant was built in 1977, with upgrades in 2001 and 2007 to improve solids management, nutrient removal and treatment capabilties. A 2014 expansion and upgrade allowed the plant to meet recent state requirements to protect Falls Lake, resulting in discharged water quality among the best in the nation.
The plant's objectives are:
- Providing good stewardship of the resources entrusted by community members and customers.
- Treating wastewater to a quality that provides a healthy environment for aquatic life and downstream recreational users and drinking supplies.
- Managing the biosolids program to benefit the environment and the local farmers who use the product.
- Proactively working with local and state agencies, organizations and individuals to monitor and protect the region's water, soil and air.
Naturally occurring nutrients — such as nitrogen and phosphorus — can cause algae growth, depleted oxygen and fish kills if not brought to safe levels before the treated wastewater is discharged into the Eno River and eventually reaches Falls Lake.
The plant uses a five-stage enhanced biological nutrient removal process, including filtering, which removes nitrates; disinfecting with chlorine; and removing chlorine before the water is discharged. The plant can treat up to 3 million gallons per day.
The plant and its staff have won the following awards:
- Morgan Operational Solutions Award
- Presented by: Water Environment Federation
- Awarded to: Wastewater Treatment Plant Superintendent Jeff Mahagan, 2018
- William D. Hatfield Award for Outstanding Performance and Professionalism in the Operation of a Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Presented by: Water Environment Federation, North Carolina Section
- Awarded to: Wastewater Treatment Plant Superintendent Jeff Mahagan, 2013
- Exceptionally Performing Facility Designation
- Presented by: N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Division of Water Quality
- Hillsborough Wastewater Treatment Plant, 2012
- Wilbur E. Long Jr. Award for Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator of the Year
- Presented by: N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Water Pollution Control System Operators Certification Commission
- Awarded to: Wastewater Treatment Plant Superintendent Jeff Mahagan, 2011
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Operations and Maintenance Award
- Presented by: N.C. American Water Works Association/Water Environment Federation, Central Region
- Awarded to: Hillsborough Wastewater Treatment Plant, 2009
Please call the plant at 919-296-9670 to schedule a tour.
Please see the Water and Sewer Billing and Collections page for information on bill payment, meter readings, routine checks for leaks or malfunctioning meters or connections for new customers.
Report water line breaks, frozen meters and other water-related emergencies immediately by calling 919-732-3621.
355 Elizabeth Brady Road, Hillsborough, NC 27278
Offices are open 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Wastewater Treatment Plant Superintendent