FAQ: Utility Billing and Payments Platform
The Town of Hillsborough will resume in-house billing and collections service on Feb. 26, 2019. The last day for payments through the utility software and customer service provider FATHOM will be Feb. 25. See a statement about the change.
Below are answers to frequently asked questions about the upcoming billing and payments platform. Click on a question to view the answer.
Is any action required of me due to this change?
Yes. Our new software will result in new account numbers for every customer. As a result, payment will need to be submitted using your new account number. The account numbers will be provided in the bill to be paid in March, which will be dated March 1.
Customers using these types of payments before the Feb. 26 transition must take action:
- All customers using recurring credit or debit card payments will need to enroll in the new system. The customer portal will open March 1.
- All customers who use bank originated bill pay will need to change the payment address and their water and sewer account number in their bank’s online bill pay system.
- All customers who pay by bank draft (also referred to as “automatic clearing house” or “ACH”) will need to complete and return to the town an automated debit service form along with a voided check or letter from their bank listing their bank account and routing numbers.
An action is required of me due to the billing change. What do I do?
If you are a customer using recurring credit or debit card payments, using bank originated bill pay, or paying by bank draft, see below for the actions you will need to take to ensure your water and sewer bills can be paid.
Recurring Credit or Debit Card
Enroll in the town’s new billing system by doing one of the following:
- Visiting the customer portal, which will be available starting March 1.
- Visiting the Financial Services Department in the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St., between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
You will need your new account number and the amount you last paid. For confirmation that your automated payment is in effect, look for “Paid by draft” on the bottom coupon of your bill dated April 1, 2019. Automated payments will have the option to be charged on the 10th or 25th day of each month.
Bank Originated Bill Pay
Change information in your bank’s bill pay feature by using these steps:
- Log in to your bank’s online bill pay service.
- Enter a new payee for Town of Hillsborough using the following “remit to” address: Town of Hillsborough, PO Box 429, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
- Enter your new account or customer number in the format shown on your bill (starting with the bill dated March 1).
Complete and return to the town an automated debit service form along with a voided check or letter from your bank listing your bank account and routing numbers.
- Obtain the form from your bill dated March 1, from the Town Hall Annex (located at 105. E. Corbin St.), or from the Water and Sewer Billing and Collections page of this website, starting Feb. 26.
- Ensure your new account number and the amount last paid are added to the form.
- Return the form by mail to P.O. Box 429, Hillsborough, NC 27278 or in person or deposit box at the Town Hall Annex.
- Pay by other methods until your bill states it is paid by draft. Processing takes at least one billing cycle.
Will services still be available through FATHOM?
No. FATHOM’s customer portal and customer phone number should not be used after Feb. 25.
When should my bill arrive, and what will be my payment due date?
Your bill should continue to arrive via mail during the first week of the month. Your payment due date will remain the 25th day of each month, with payment due the following business day if the due date falls on a weekend or holiday.
Will the town's service disconnection policy change?
Yes. Starting Feb. 26, an additional $40 delinquency fee will be assessed and service will be disconnected if the previous month’s bill is not paid by the current month’s due date. In other words, disconnection will occur a month after payment has not been received. To be reconnected, the past due bill, all penalties, fees and the current bill must be paid in full.
Will the town’s policy on fees for electronic payments change?
No. At its meeting on Feb. 11, 2019, the Hillsborough Board of Commissioners decided not to add any fees or surcharges to electronic payments of utility bills at this time. The board had considered charging fees to help offset some of the cost the town incurs from payment methods that include credit and debit card transactions. During the last fiscal year, these payment methods for water and sewer bills cost the town about $74,000 in fees. The board noted that automatic bank draft is a preferred, convenient payment method that does not generate fees for the town or customer.
What payment methods will be available?
Starting Feb. 26, see the Water and Sewer Billing and Collections page on this website for a listing of the payment methods. A deposit box is located at the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St. Cash should not be placed in the deposit box.
How do I use the online features that will be available for customers?
Visit the customer portal to register. The portal will open March 1, and new account numbers will be provided on the bill dated March 1. You will need your new account number and the amount of your last payment to confirm your registration in the online portal.
How do I reach customer service?
Call the Hillsborough Financial Services Department at 919-296-9450 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Responses will be made within 24 hours of the next business day, and inquiries should include:
- Water/sewer service address
- Full name on the water/sewer account
- Water/sewer account number
- Contact information