Preservation Awards to Recognize Cup-A-Joe, Calvin Street Renovations
Friday, May 19, 2017
The Hillsborough Historic District Commission is celebrating Preservation Month by recognizing commercial and residential renovations on King and Calvin streets.
The commission will present its 2017 Preservation Awards at 6:10 p.m. Friday, May 26 in front of the Historic Orange County Courthouse, located at North Churton and East King streets. The presentation will take place during the monthly arts celebration Last Fridays, and posters about the projects will be on display during the event. Commission members also will be available to talk about the awards and the commission’s role in the town.
The posters will be on display until May 25 at the Hillsborough Visitors Center, 150 E. King St.
Award for Best Commercial Renovation
The 2017 Preservation Award for Best Commercial Renovation recognizes the significant amount of time, effort and money put into renovating the building at 112 W. King St. that serves as the new location of Cup-A-Joe. Recognized are Cup-A-Joe business owners Ryan and Brooke Creery; their project architect, Reid Highley; their builder, Charles Woods; their project manager, Basil Yap; and building owners George Horton and Jim Parker.
The building dates to around 1912 and formerly was a ladies’ apparel store, a veterinary office, a real estate office, and a graphic arts and photography studio. A portion of the original lot was once occupied by the Blue House Inn (built in 1760) and later by the first N.C. public treasurer, Memucan Hunt, until 1789. In the 1800s, the master lot was sold and divided many times. Subsequent lots were used for a post office, a millery store, garden plots, a livery, a drugstore, stables, and eventually the building that now houses Cup-A-Joe.
Renovations included removing and replacing deteriorating awning fabric on the front of the building; preserving and painting the front entry door and transom windows; adding a railing to the steps in the rear and exterior light fixtures; and enclosing most of the covered deck in the rear for use as a kitchen, with HardiePlank lap siding, a five-panel door, and a full-view storefront door installed. A full interior renovation was done to remove incompatible modern materials that disguised the building’s beauty and detracted from its historic charm. Asbestos ceiling tiles and drywall were removed, and the original ceiling and brick walls were restored. Flooring was redone, and new counters and kitchen equipment were added to complete the upfit for a restaurant.
Award for Best Residential Renovation
The 2017 Preservation Award for Best Residential Renovation recognizes the large investment of time and money by Doug Peterson and Cynthia Billings to restore the house at 404 Calvin St.
The house was built around 1921 on property that had been divided and sold to attract the railroad depot in 1846. It was built in three sections: a roughly 16-foot-by-32-foot original section, with two downstairs rooms and two upstairs rooms; a 14-foot-by-28-foot shed-roofed addition of two rooms; and a rear addition containing a bathroom and laundry room. Mather Spencer Howerton and Mattie “Lillian” Wheeley Howerton and their 11 children lived in the home, purchasing it in 1946 after the mill closed across the street. They used money Mrs. Howerton had saved from her employment at the mill, and Mr. Howerton worked to convert the house from a duplex into a single-family home. Their surviving children recall watching the trains go by from the front porch and waving at passersby since the train depot was located at the corner of Calvin and Nash streets.
Peterson and Billings bought the home in 2014 with the intention of renovating it and living in it. Since that time, they have expanded and renovated the property extensively. Their work includes adding landscaping and fencing improvements; replacing an addition in the rear with a two-story addition; renovating the entire interior of the original structure; building an outbuilding to complement the main structure; replacing the windows and roof; repairing the chimney; removing the low porch ceiling to restore the porch to its original height; and constructing a new porch railing.
Preservation Month was established in 1973 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation to promote historic preservation and community pride in local heritage sites. The Hillsborough Historic District Commission was established in the same year to identify, protect and preserve Hillsborough’s historic architectural resources and to educate the public about those resources. The Historic District encompasses more than two centuries of architectural resources, including representative examples of the many architectural styles that reflect the broad time frame. The first Preservation Awards were given in 1992.
Last Fridays takes place downtown the last Friday of each month April-September. The arts event features a live concert, crafts and more.