Hillsborough Loose Leaves Collection to Start
Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2018
The Town of Hillsborough will begin its seasonal collection of loose leaves on Monday, Oct. 29.
Beginning next week, Hillsborough residents can rake their leaves to the side of the street for collection. The leaf vacuum truck will operate on a continuous cycle on weekdays through the end of January, except on town-observed holidays.
Leaf collection reminders
Following are requirements for having leaves collected by the town:
- Place loose leaves within 4 feet of the curb for collection. No work order is required.
- Ensure leaf piles are free of limbs and debris, which can clog the truck’s vacuum.
- Ensure leaf piles do not cover water meters or block sidewalks or fire hydrants.
- Place leaf piles where they do not interfere with traffic or water drainage.
- Biodegradable bags may be used for leaf collection on brush collection days. Households are limited to collection of 10 bags per brush collection week.
Leaves for compost or mulch
The town will deliver leaves to citizens in and around the surrounding vicinity of Hillsborough who would like the leaves for mulch or compost. The minimum amount the Public Works Department will deliver is half a truckload, about 10 cubic yards. The area where the leaves are to be dumped must be accessible by a large truck.
To request a delivery of leaves, call the Public Works Department at 919-296-9600.
For more information about loose leaf collection, see the resources below.
- Solid waste collection webpage
- Jurisdiction and service areas webpage
- Hillsborough Loose Leaf Collection video