Sidewalk Construction Meeting Planned for Next Week
Thursday, June 7, 2018
An informational meeting on a project to create and improve sidewalk connections in West Hillsborough and the commercial area of South Nash Street will be held next week.
The meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m. on Thursday, June 14 at the Town Barn, 101 E. Orange St. Parking is accessible from East Corbin Street.
Construction on the project is scheduled to begin June 18 and last about six months. The project will increase pedestrian safety and visibility and improve connectivity. Work will include the following components:
- Creating a three-way stop at the intersection of South Nash and Eno streets.
- Installing a high-visibility crosswalk at the intersection of South Nash and Eno streets.
- Removing on-street parking and widening sidewalks along the west side of South Nash Street adjacent to the commercial area.
- Building a sidewalk along the east side of South Nash Street, adjacent to the parking lot across from the commercial area.
- Completing a sidewalk along the south side of Calvin Street from Hillsborough Avenue to the Riverwalk greenway and around the sharp curve at South Occoneechee Street.
- Extending the Riverwalk greenway from Gold Park to connect with Allison Street.
- Building a sidewalk segment south of the Allison Street bridge to connect with the Occoneechee Mountain State Natural Area trail.
The cost of the project is expected to be $1.2 million, with the bulk of funding coming from the federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality program. About $250,000 will come from the town.