Board of Commissioners Meeting Summary
Tuesday, March 12, 2019
The following is a brief summary of noteworthy actions taken at the Hillsborough Board of Commissioners meeting on Monday, March 11. It does not include all actions taken at the meeting and should not be viewed as official minutes. The meeting was in the Board Meeting Room at the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St.
The following presentations were made:
- Chad Cook, an audit manager from Dixon Hughes Goodman LLP, presented a summary of the Town of Hillsborough’s Fiscal Year 2018 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report. The report is available on the town website.
- Corey Root, coordinator of the Orange County Partnership to End Homelessness, presented the partnership’s annual report, noting that homelessness has increased in Orange County since 2010 while state and national numbers have declined.
- Orange County Solid Waste Planner Blair Pollock shared ways to participate in Skip the Straw month.
The Board of Commissioners approved the following appointments:
- William Spoon to a three-year term on the Historic District Commission, expiring April 30, 2022.
- William Harris to a three-year term on the Board of Adjustment, expiring April 30, 2022.
- Barry Weston to a four-year term on the Water and Sewer Advisory Committee, expiring March 31, 2023.
Orange Grove Road extension
The board passed a resolution in support of not building any of the Orange Grove Road extensions proposed by the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
Next Century Cities
The board voted to join Next Century Cities, which supports community leaders nationwide as they advocate for fast, affordable and reliable Internet access for everyone.
Town Manager Eric Peterson reviewed key discussion points for the March 25 board budget retreat. The Town of Hillsborough operates with a three-year financial plan.