Board of Commissioners Meeting Summary
The following is a brief summary of noteworthy actions taken at the Hillsborough Board of Commissioners meeting on Monday, May 13. It does not include all actions taken at the meeting and should not be viewed as official minutes. The meeting was in the Board Meeting Room at the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St.
The Board of Commissioners approved:
- Re-appointment of Tommy Stann to continue to fill a restaurant seat on the Tourism Board with a second term expiring April 8, 2021.
- Appointment of Jeff Strickler as the representative from the Alliance for Historic Hillsborough on the Tourism Board with a term expiring Jan. 14, 2021.
Citizens Academy graduation
The board recognized those who participated in the Hillsborough Citizens Academy this spring. Participants attended eight sessions over seven weeks, learning about town government and services. They received a certificate and a T-shirt in appreciation for their participation.
Smoking in public places
The board discussed ways to let people know that Orange County has a public health rule that prohibits smoking in public places including on sidewalks. The board decided to encourage the county to work with business owners and the Hillsborough/Orange County Chamber of Commerce on messaging.
The board unanimously passed a resolution in support of North Carolina’s working people and their families, urging legislative delegates to support:
- Legislation that would provide paid family leave for workers in North Carolina who want or need to take parental leave, care for a sick family member, or meet other important family needs.
- Legislation that would raise the minimum wage for all workers in North Carolina.
- Legislation that empowers public employees in North Carolina to negotiate the conditions of their employment.