Town Accepting Cash Utility Payments by Appointment Only
The Town of Hillsborough Financial Services Department is now accepting cash payments for water and sewer bills by appointment.
Customers should call 919-296-9450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment only if they have no way to pay their bills other than with cash. All others should pay their bills by one of the following methods:
- Bank draft — Sign up to have the town automatically draft payment from your bank account on the 10th or 25th day of each month by completing the automated debit service form on the back of your bill or attached to this news release. Submit the completed form with a voided check. Processing enrollment takes at least one billing cycle. Pay by other methods until your bill states, “Do not pay. Paid by draft.”
- Bank originated bill pay — Set up recurring payments through your bank account by logging on to your bank's online bill pay service and entering Town of Hillsborough as a payee with the following “remit to” address: Town of Hillsborough, PO Box 429, Hillsborough, NC 27278. Enter your account or customer number in the format shown on your bill. Implementing electronic payments from your bank can take up to 90 days, but your bank will issue a paper check for payment during this time.
- Deposit box — Visit the deposit box at the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St., to leave a payment. Do not place cash in the drop box.
- Mail — Send payments to Town of Hillsborough, PO Box 429, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
- Online — Visit the town payments and donations website to pay by credit or debit card. Click on the “Pay a Water and Sewer Bill” link in the Available Services section.
- Telephone — Call 833-262-5902 toll-free 24 hours a day to pay by credit or debit card.
Appointments will take place at the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St., and the following restrictions will be in place:
- No business other than cash bill payment will take place during appointments. All other transactions can be completed online or by phone.
- While inside the building, customers must wear a face mask covering their mouth and nose at all times. Masks will be provided for anyone who does not have one.
- Customers should call or email to reschedule their appointments if they are not feeling well.
- Customers are strongly encouraged to round up to the next dollar when paying their bills due to the national coin shortage. The town cannot guarantee that it will be able to provide change. The difference will be credited to the next bill.
- Customers should avoid bringing others with them. If they must bring other people to their appointments, those individuals must wear a face mask. If they do not have a mask, one will be provided.
The town suspended late-payment penalties and disconnections on March 20, but they will resume this month. Past-due water and sewer accounts will begin accruing penalties again, and the town will resume disconnection of water service for non-payment on Aug. 26.
Account holders without an existing payment plan and with unpaid bills due between Jan. 25 and July 25 were automatically placed on a 12-month payment plan if bills remained unpaid as of Aug. 1. The plan will appear on the Sept. 1 utility bill, and the first payment will be due Sept. 25. Balances may be paid in full at any time.
The Water Assistance Program offers assistance with paying water and sewer bills. For more information, contact:
- Orange County Department of Social Services at 919-245-2800.
- Orange Congregations in Mission at 919-732-6194.