Water and Sewer Services
The Utilities Department provides water and sewer service to Hillsborough residents and out-of-town customers, while the Financial Services Department arranges connections for new customers, disconnections of service, schedules meter readings, and collects monthly payments.
Call 919-296-9450 for any assistance on bill adjustments.
Customers may request adjustments to bills if they show that a break in a water line has resulted in extraordinary charges for a given billing period. In such cases, the customer will be charged an amount based on an average of the previous six months.
Customers are allowed one leak adjustment per calendar year. Sufficient documentation of a leak must be provided by a plumber or maintenance person, or customers must provide receipts for items purchased for repairs. Leak adjustments must be requested no later than three months after the billing date.
Malfunctioning water meters
The standard for meter accuracy is plus or minus 10%. A meter flow test can be requested, with a fee charged if the meter passes the flow test.
If a meter fails to register water use, the customer will be charged an amount based on an average of the previous six months.
For information on the town's in-house billing and payments platform, see the FAQ: Utility Billing and Payments Platform page on this website. Water and sewer usage are billed monthly. Balances can be paid several ways. Customers are encouraged to pay online or by telephone.
- Bank draft — Sign up to have the town automatically draft payment from your bank account on the 10th or 25th day of each month by completing the automated debit service form on the back of your bill or at the bottom of this webpage section. Submit the completed form with a voided check by mail, in person or by deposit box. Processing enrollment takes at least one billing cycle. Pay by other methods until your bill states, “Do not pay. Paid by draft.”
- Bank originated bill pay — Set up recurring payments through your bank account by logging on to your bank's online bill pay service and entering Town of Hillsborough as a payee with the following “remit to” address: Town of Hillsborough, PO Box 429, Hillsborough, NC 27278. Enter your account or customer number in the format shown on your bill. Implementing electronic payments from your bank can take up to 90 days, but your bank will issue a paper check for payment during this time.
- Deposit box — Visit the deposit box at the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St., to leave a payment. Do not place cash in the drop box.
- In person — Visit the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St., between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday to make cash or check payments. Staff also can help with credit or debit card payments.
- Mail — Send payments to Town of Hillsborough, PO Box 429, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
- Online — Visit the town payments and donations website to pay by credit or debit card.
- Telephone — Call 833-262-5902 toll-free 24 hours a day to pay by credit or debit card.
Current charges are due by the 25th day of the month. If the 25th day falls on a weekend or holiday, the bill is due on the next business day. Payments received after 11:59 p.m. on the due date are considered late. An additional $40 delinquency fee will be assessed and service will be disconnected if the previous month’s bill is not paid by the current month’s due date. To be reconnected, the past due bill, all penalties, fees and the current bill must be paid in full.
The Town of Hillsborough participates in the North Carolina Local Government Debt Setoff Clearinghouse. This program secures payment of delinquent water and sewer bills by filing a claim with the state to intercept income tax refunds or North Carolina education lottery winnings of those who owe payment to the town of $50 or greater, according to North Carolina General Statute 105A: Setoff Debt Collection Act.
Contractors may obtain bulk water from the town’s water treatment plant at 711 Dimmocks Mill Road by paying first at the Financial Services Department in the Town Hall Annex, 105 E. Corbin St. The billing and collections office is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.
Hydrant meter box rental
Contractors may rent 3-inch hydrant meters on a daily, weekly, monthly, semi-annual or annual basis. The orange boxes have a backflow preventer to ensure contaminants do not enter the public water system and a meter to measure the water usage for proper billing. Complete the hydrant meter rental form below. Rental requires a deposit and rental rates, and usage fees apply. See the Fees and Charges Schedule in the Rates section for up-to-date fee information.
Report water line breaks, sewer spills and other water-related emergencies immediately by calling 919-732-3621.
Hillsborough charges for a minimum usage of 2,125 gallons each billing cycle, effective July 1, 2023. Additional use is billed per 1,000 gallons.
For in-town customers:
- Water rate is $10.73 per 1,000 gallons.
- Sewer rate is $15.09 per 1,000 gallons.
- The minimum water fee is $22.80.
- The minimum sewer fee is $32.07.
For out‐of‐town customers:
- Water rate is $20.90 per 1,000 gallons.
- Sewer rate is $29.43 per 1,000 gallons.
- The minimum water fee is $44.41.
- The minimum sewer fee is $62.54.
For additional information on rates, see the documents below and the FAQ: Water and Sewer Rates.
Fiscal Year 2023-24 Water and Sewer Rate Increases — English and Spanish
Utility rates price comparison — English and Spanish
To establish new service, contact the Billing and Collections Division by email or at 919-296-9450. Service should be requested at least three business days in advance. Accounts can be transferred between addresses for a $20 fee.
The town requires all of the following to start a new service account. Customers also are asked to provide a Social Security number.
- Valid driver's license, government ID or passport
- A copy of one of the following signed by all parties:
- Lease agreement
- Deed, settlement statement or purchase agreement
- Property management agreement
- $20 non-refundable connection fee
- Deposit of $75 in town or $150 out of town
To end service, complete and return the Utility Disconnection Request below. Please allow up to three business days to disconnect service.
Establecimiento de servicio
Para establecer el servicio, llame al 919-296-9450 o envíe un correo electrónico a la División de Facturación y Cobranza. Servicio debe solicitarse con al menos tres días hábiles de antelación. Cuentas se pueden transferir entre direcciones por una tarifa de $20.
La ciudad requiere todo lo siguiente para iniciar una nueva cuenta de servicio. También se pide a los clientes que el número de Seguro Social.
- Licencia de conducir válida, identificación del gobierno o pasaporte
- Una copia de uno de los siguientes firmado por todas las partes:
- Contrato de arrendamiento
- Escritura, declaración de liquidación o contrato de compra
- Contrato de administración de propiedad
- Tarifa de conexión no reembolsable de $20
- Depósito de $75 en la ciudad o $150 fuera de la ciudad
Some customers may be eligible for help paying bills. See the Water Assistance webpage on this website, which also includes information on how to donate to the program.