Mayor Mark Bell
A Hillsborough resident since 2006, Mark Bell is a graduate of Middle Tennessee State University and Duke University. He has worked in the information technology and healthcare fields for 30 years, focusing on improving quality and access to care through health equity, public health, behavioral health and social determinants of health. He is a former member of the U.S. Naval Reserve and is a published author in several areas of information technology.
Bell and his wife, Virginia, have resided in downtown Hillsborough since 2006. They have one child and a rambunctious Aussiedoodle. In his spare time, Bell enjoys history, genealogy, and playing the banjo.
Bell represents the town in the following capacities:
- Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization Board
- Hillsborough Water and Sewer Advisory Committee (rotation)
- Orange County Solid Waste Advisory Group
Bell also has been involved in community service through the following:
- Alliance for Historic Hillsborough
- Cedar Grove Volunteer Fire Department
- Hillsborough Historic District Commission
- Northern Orange Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Occaneechi Village Restoration
- Orange County Health Equity Council
- PORCH Hillsborough