Jurisdiction and Service Areas
Many people have a Hillsborough mailing address but do not live within town limits. Additionally, the town limits do not match the planning jurisdiction or the water and sewer service areas. Below are instructions for finding information about a property through the Orange County interactive zoning website and for determining which services are offered there.
To find a property on the zoning website, enter the street address, owner name or parcel identification number in the appropriate search box and click the Search button.
The map will zoom to the location, and property information will appear in the Results tab on the left. If the website returns “0 records found,” your information may be out of date.
Map color codes
The map is color-coded as follows:
- Dark gray background ― The property is within town limits.
- Light gray background ― The property is outside town limits but within the extraterritorial jurisdiction area. See the "Services outside town limits" section of this webpage for more information.
- Colored background ― The property is outside town limits and the extraterritorial jurisdiction area.
It may be necessary to zoom out to distinguish between dark gray and light gray areas.
The town has zoning jurisdiction within a limited area beyond town limits known as the extraterritorial jurisdiction area. For properties outside town limits and the extraterritorial jurisdiction area, Orange County oversees zoning.
For properties outside town limits, including those within the extraterritorial jurisdiction area:
- The town may or may not provide water and sewer service. See the "Water and sewer service area" section of this webpage for more information.
- Private companies provide garbage collection, and Orange County provides dropoff sites.
- Orange County provides recycling collection.
- Orange County Sheriff's Office provides law enforcement.
- Orange Rural Fire Department provides fire protection.
The town's water and sewer service area extends beyond town limits. Once a property is found on the zoning website, do the following to determine whether it falls within the water and sewer service area:
- Click the Layers tab.
- Check the Water Sewer Jurisdictional Boundary box.
- Read the service designation for the property.
Properties may be marked with the following designations:
- Hillsborough Primary Service Area ― Town water and sewer service may be available. However, it is not available everywhere within the primary service area.
- Hillsborough Long-Term Service Area ― Town water and sewer service is generally not available, although it may be in the future if the primary service area is extended and capacity allows.
For questions about whether town water and sewer service is available for a specific property, please complete the Water and Sewer Availability Inquiry.