Special Event Permits
Most events that are open to the general public or that require street closings require a Special Event Permit. To determine if your event requires a permit, please review the event policies in Chapter 7 of the Hillsborough Code of Ordinances.
To reserve a park facility or the special event banner location on Churton Street, see the reservations section of this site.
Mobile food vendors operating as part of a special event should see the Financial Services Department page for additional regulations and permit requirements.
Permit fees are:
- Public and private events: Private property — $20
- Public and private events: Public property — $35
- Street or greenway events — $55
Permit applications must be received at least 60 days in advance of the requested event. To apply, complete the application below and include a map below with the event’s location marked. Applications for events at Riverwalk should indicate whether the greenway would remain open to the public.
Applications can be submitted:
- Email — firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person — Town Hall, 101 E. Orange St.
- Mail — Planning and Economic Development Division, Attn: Shannan Campbell, PO Box 429, Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Fax — 919-644-2390
For questions, contact the Planning and Economic Development Division by email or at 919-296-9477.