Zoning Compliance Permits
The Hillsborough Planning and Economic Development Division issues zoning compliance permits for activities that are regulated under the Unified Development Ordinance on property in the town limits and in the extraterritorial jurisdiction. In some cases, a building permit may also be required. Building permits and inspections are handled by the Orange County Planning and Inspections Department.
Zoning compliance permits are issued for:
- Site changes, such as relocating or expanding an existing structure or such as constructing a new building, accessory building, deck or fence.
- Installing new signs or changing the location, sign face, or message of an existing sign.
- Changes of use, such as moving a business into an existing non-residential retail or office space.
- Operating a business out of your personal residence.
- Temporary and event signs, including sandwich boards and banners.
Applications can be submitted:
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In person at Town Hall, 101 E. Orange St., Hillsborough, NC 27278.
- By mail to Planning and Economic Development Division, Attn: Evan Punch, 101 E. Orange St., Hillsborough, NC 27278.
- By fax to 919-644-2390.
For questions, contact the Planning and Economic Development Division by email or at 919-296-9470.
Once submitted, the processing time for a permit application is typically 1-2 business days.